Thursday, March 12, 2015

Marsha's Musings: Prospering (3 John 1:1-2

        


The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth. -3 John 1:1
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. -3 John 1:2

Now John writes to Gaius, who must be younger than him but whom is wellbeloved in the church and John loves him in the truth. 

I can't help but wonder if Gaius had health problems since John made a point of wishing that he might prosper and be in health even as his soul prospers.  If this is true, then we have another example from Scripture of someone who endured physical affliction and yet responded in a right manner toward God through it all.  (Paul is the other example)

This would be yet another nail in the coffin of the health and wealth propserity preachers who seem to think you are only sick because you don't have enough faith or you have terrible sin in your life.

John refers to himself as the elder writing to Gaius.  So Gaius being younger than the apostle, apparently was spiritually mature in his faith so much so that John comments that his soul prospers.

Gaius was wellbeloved.  This tells me that he had a right attitude toward his illness and that others were encouraged by him.

So the challenge is this:
Can I in whatever affliction the hand of God brings my direction, prosper in my faith in spite of what is going on around me or in my body?  Can I be a source of spiritual encouragement to those around me in spite of what affliction may come upon me?  

No comments: