Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Marsha's Musings: Pitfalls of Social Media (2 John 1:12-13)






Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full. -2 John 1:12
The children of thy elect sister greet thee. Amen. -2 John 1:13

John knew the importance of speaking face to face with people.  He had many things he wanted to say to the elect lady, but he chose not to say everything but wait until he could talk face to face. 

In this day when many of us are separated by miles letters and social media are a good way to communicate.  However, I think sometimes social media and email take the place of speaking face to face or on the phone because we do not want to take the time it takes to actually communicate with people in a personal way.

I'm just as guilty as the next person of using social media as a substitute for real personal communication.  I think this has created an atmosphere of isolation.  Yes, we have contact with others, but we sit sequestered in our homes and bedrooms without real human contact with those we see on social media.

I wonder, if the Internet was shut down would I pick up the phone or go and visit those I "talk" to on social media? Do have their phone numbers?

The other pitfall of social media is the impersonal aspect of spewing out things to people that you would never say in person. I think social media has given people the freedom to display their depravity in ways they would never do in person.  Many friendships are ruined by careless comments made on social media.

I think if John had social media back in Bible times that he would have still said he wanted to talk face to face.  Am I willing to take the time and committment it takes to get together with others face to face or pick up the phone to talk to them?


No comments: