Saturday, December 14, 2013

Marsha's Musings: All Who Desire to Live Godly...(II Timothy 3:10-12 NKJV)

But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. (II Timothy 3:10-12 NKJV)

It would be good to do a character study of Paul to learn as much as I can about his doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, long suffering, love,perseverance, persecutions, and afflictions. This would be a great outline and guide for that kind of study.

Paul says that The Lord delivered him out of all his persecutions, at least up to the point of this letter.  The Bible doesn't say how he died but some years ago Pope Benedict had the sarcophagus taken from a tomb believed to be Paul's. It was examined and the Latin inscription said, "Paul apostle martyr".

So those who like to cherry pick scripture and twist it for their own benefit can't do that with this one.  They may flippantly say, "Oh, I may have a hard time or get made fun of but God delivered Paul so He will deliver me!"  I've heard Christians say similar things.  Yes, God will deliver us from persecution and hardship, but it may be deliverance through death or martyrdom.  Is this what they mean?  The health and wealth preachers aren't thinking that, I'm sure, and certainly not those who subscribe to their doctrine.

God doesn't hide the truth. He has been honest in His Word and tells us that if we live godly lives sooner or later we will suffer persecution!


No comments: