Friday, December 13, 2013

Marsha's Musings: Two Characteristics of Men of Corrupt Minds (II Timothy 3:8, 9 NKJV)

Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was. (II Timothy 3:8, 9 NKJV)

I tried to find out who Jannes and Jambres was, but God didn't see fit to include their stories in Scripture. Perhaps they were so well known by their rebellion that their stories of rebellion were passed down through oral tradition rather than written down. At any rate they must have made a name for themselves with their rebellion.

I see here three characteristics of men of corrupt minds.

1. They resist the truth
2. They are disapproved concerning the faith
3. They do not show any spiritual growth

It says their folly will be manifested to all as these two men's folly was.  Notice that it says their folly "will be manifested".  This means that for some time, they will appear to be Christians, perhaps church members in good standing, even.  But as they resist the truth, eventually it will become clear that they are men of corrupt minds.

This is a warning to me to be very careful.

1. While we need to give others the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions, we need to be aware that those who resist the truth can be very covert in their resistance of the truth, with intent of leading people astray.  I have watched this happen first hand.  I need to listen and think, lest I be led astray.  Sadly, some of these people are in church leadership, and I have been watching a situation unfold currently with one such "pastor" in the Seattle area.

2. I need to be careful, myself, that I do not fall into the trap of resisting the truth of God's Word.  How is my own heart towards God's Word?

No comments: