Monday, November 04, 2013

Marsha's Musings: The Bible Speaks about the Internet??

Their webs will not serve as clothing; men will not cover themselves with what they make. Their works are works of iniquity, and deeds of violence are in their hands. (Isaiah 59:6 ESV)

Okay. I just had to laugh when I saw this verse because  of the alternate meaning of web in our society.  Who would have thought the Bible could have something to say about "the web"?

This passage talks of the violence of people and then makes the point that the webs they weave will not clothe them but rather take them down to destruction.

This is so applicable to much of what goes on on "the web".  I don't have to name all the evil that goes out over "the web" and the destruction of lives it has caused.  

Through gaming on "the web", there is a virtual world of crime and bloodshed and then there is the real world of terrorism that thrives through "the web".  The last part of the verse is so true.

Even more subtle is the time that it has sucked away from families in terms of relationships and getting things done to maintain the home and property.

It is true, "the web" will not serve as clothing.  Instead, if used improperly, it will plunge one into chaos and possible poverty as their surroundings fall into disrepair and they decline physically due to inactivity or lack of sleep or both while feeding the addiction to "the web" and what is on it.

While I laughed when I first saw this verse, after writing my observation here, I realize that this is no laughing matter.  It makes me take a second look at my use of "the web".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so true!