Friday, May 22, 2009

Frugal Friday


It's Frugal Friday!

If you would like some frugal tips click on the icon above. It will take you to a website dedicated to Frugal Tips.

Frugality is more than just saving money.  It's also about saving time as well.  We can be frugal with our time.  Here is an article I read that talks about saving time.  I thought is was throught provoking.  Here it is:

Are you using Parkinson's Law?

By Marcia Francois


Have you heard of Parkinson's Law?

Yes?

No?

Well, Parkinson's Law states that work expands to fill the time available for its completion.

What does that mean?

It means that if you allow one hour to clean your office, it'll take one hour to get it clean.

It also means that if you allow just 20 minutes to clean your office, it'll take just 20 minutes to get it done.

See?

Or if it does take you longer to do it, it will be just a fraction longer than the allowed time.

Either way, you still SAVE time.

On a recent holiday to Cape Town, my laptop did something weird and I suddenly couldn't access my email.

I had directions in my email account to meet a fellow professional organiser in Cape Town later that day so I really needed to get to my emails.

Fortunately the hotel had a business centre with (obviously) exorbitant rates per 15 minutes. I was determined to only use 15 minutes so I bought a coupon, accessed my email, printed the directions and while I was in my account, quickly responded and processed all my email. In 15 minutes!

Yes, in just 15 minutes.

Now if I'd had my laptop, it probably would have taken me upwards of 30 minutes to process the same daily batch of email.

Because that's just how it is.

You check out links, read everything slowly, delay decision-making, etc.

For the next week, I'm going to challenge you to apply Parkinson's Law in 3 ways.

1.    If you blog, reduce your blogging time, set a timer and just start writing. (This is exactly what I do).
2.    If you usually take two hours to clean your house, set a timer and only allow one hour.
3.    If you usually take one hour to sort through all the paper in your house, take just 30 minutes.

Are you up for the challenge?

 

Want to use this article in your ezine or on your blog? You may, as long as you include this complete blurb.

Marcia Francois is a time management and organising coach who empowers small business owners and other busy professionals who want to make the most of their time. You'll get simple, practical organising and time management secrets to help you work less and enjoy life more! Visit http://takechargesolutions.org for your free Organising Success Pack.




No comments: