Monday, March 23, 2009

Marsha's Musings: Thinking Outside the Box

Getting ready for an eight day vacation end of next week.  Since we can't eat out much due to soy and gluten intolerances, I am having to plan to fix all our meals along the way.  Not much of a vacation for me...meal prep without my kitchen makes things more complicated!  

I have been forced to think ahead and prepare ahead and to think outside the box a bit.  Here are some things I am doing to make life easier for me on this vacation:

1. Disposeable eating utencils and plates...who wants to wash a pile of dirty dishes in a motel sink??
2. A small one burner stove...$8 at Walmart, a frying pan and sauce pan, mini crock pot and little
     dipper crock pot
3. Prepare as much food ahead of time as possible:
    a. precooked chicken, cubed and dehydrated it, also chopped and dehydrated carrots/celery &
        added chicken soup spices to it in a bag.
    b. Mixed up spices for ham & bean soup...frozen ham and canned black beans
    c. Shredded cheese for all meals and froze it in freezer bags
    d. Cooked up bacon and froze it.
    e. scrambled up 9 eggs and froze them uncooked, mixed up spices for that in separate bag.
    f. cooked up gluten free pancakes and froze them.

There are many other things I have predone, but my kids need the computer now so won't bore you with all the details...hope this gives you an idea of how you can cook on the road with less effort during your vacation....

No comments: