Sunday, March 22, 2009

Devotional: The Slothful & the Diligent

Proverbs 12:27 The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.

At first glance, one might pass over this proverb and think, "I'm not slothful and of course what I have is precious to me!" But I found this proverb rather convicting.

How often have I gone to the store, bought food and then for some reason or other it doesn't get used and ends up spoiling in the fridge? How often do we have leftovers on our table and they end up rotting in the back of the fridge? We call them science experiments at our house.

This usually happens because I have not labeled things with contents and dates and made plans to use them. I am in a hurry and don't feel like taking the time to label them properly. That is being slothful instead of diligent.

As stewards of what God has given us, we need to be diligent to use our resources wisely. Won't you join me in asking God to help us be good stewards of the resources He has given us? As we seek to honor Him in this area, He will reward us for our efforts.

No comments: