Monday, January 22, 2018

Devotional: What to Pray For



Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.
But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you.
And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. 2 Thessalonians 3:1-7


I have been told that I am a list maker.  It is true.  I make lists of my lists!  I like to make lists when I read the Bible too.  So when I read the verses above in my Bible reading the other day, I had to make a list.  Here is my list:

Things to Pray For:
  1. that the word of the Lord would spread rapidly (free course)
  2. that the word of the Lord would be glorified
  3. that God's faithful would be delivered from evil men
  4. that the Lord would direct His people into the love of God
  5. that the Lord would direct His people into the steadfastness of Christ (patient waiting)
What God Has Promised
  1. the Lord is faithful
  2. the Lord strengthens us (stablish you)
  3. the Lord protects us from evil (the evil one in NASV)
Are you stuck in the rut of praying for Aunt Susie's bad knee or other physical ailments?  Well this list will give you a lot more to pray for.  You can pray for Aunt Susie to be able to use her ailment to encourage others in their walk with God so that the word of the Lord would be glorified in her life. You can pray for Aunt Susie to be delivered from those who might try to exploit her trouble to their own advantage.  You can pray that Aunt Susie would know the surpasing love of God and that God would give her patience and steadfastness in Christ and not waver in her faith.  And last but not least, you can thank God for His promises and faithfulness to His people.

I would venture to guess that as you pray for others in this manner it will change your perspective toward your own troubles too!

No comments: