Monday, July 03, 2017

Devotional: Lessons from the Pilot Car


“My soul follows close behind You; Your right hand upholds me.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭63:8‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

I had checked Google traffic maps before leaving home.  It indicated slow traffic between the vineyards and Burbank.  Sure enough, we got to that point and a flagger stopped us.  We waited about ten minutes and pretty soon a pilot car appeared leading a string of traffic toward us.  It wasn't long and they all passed by and the pilot car took its place in front of our car.  The sign read, "Pilot Car Follow Me".  I carefully followed behind the pilot car as he led us through the construction zone.

What if I didn't trust the pilot car to lead me safely through the construction zone? What if I had decided I didn't want to follow the pilot car?  What if I decided I wanted to forge my own path through the construction zone? What if I decided I wanted to be the leader?   I doubt it would have worked out well.  

The Psalmist says his soul follows close behind God and God's right hand upholds him.  It is so easy to want to run ahead of God instead of sticking close behind Him.  I think where I do this the most is in relation to my children.  Instead of following close behind God as He leads them in their lives, I find myself running out ahead and it always leads to me playing out every disastrous scenario there is that could go wrong as they strike out on their own in the world.  Of course this leads to sleepless nights of tossing and turning. 

I need to stay behind God and follow Him.  There are several good reasons to follow close behind, rather than run ahead or forge my own path.  

1. God knows the way.  I don't.
2. God is able to clear the path ahead. I can't.
3. If I am behind Him, I only see Him and where I should put my feet at this moment, therefore, there is no need to worry about what I can not see.  I only need to focus on Him.

This is my lesson from the Pilot Car.

______________





1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Marsha. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. Very encouraging and a reminding devotional lessons from the Pilot Car. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your family come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.