Wednesday, March 29, 2017

March 29, 2017 at 09:17AM

This morning it is raining again. Last night the windshield wipers quit working on the car Nathaniel drives to work, so today I need to figure out what to do about that. Until then I guess I will be playing taxi again for him.

Last night I did not feel very good. This morning I feel better, but still not sure if I am fighting something off. I will decide later if I should go play Skip-bo with my elderly lady friend or not. Wouldn't want to make her sick if I feel like I'm getting something. We'll see. Also, a lot depends on what happens with the car issue. 

I've been reading Luke and copying down each verse as I go. I am now in chapter 3. I'm just staying ahead of our pastor who is preaching through Luke. I love this method of Bible reading/copying because it slows me down so I really have to look at what I am reading and think about it. 

I've been mulling over the story of Korah from Sunday School in Walla Walla this past Sunday. I never thought about the fact that his family was not swallowed up in the earth for rebellion, but families of the others who rebelled against Moses were. Later the sons of Korah went on to write a number of the Psalms.

Korah' rebellion involved not being content with the job God had given him...that of being a doorkeeper for the house of God. He wanted to be a priest and led a rebellion among the doorkeepers, which didn't end well. Those who rebelled were swallowed up by the earth. 

Korah' sons apparently did not rebel, because they lived and wrote some Psalms. Psalm 84:10 is one of them. "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked." It certainly gives more meaning to that verse, knowing that their dad led a rebellion because he didn't like being a doorkeeper. 

It makes me think about what God has given me to do as a housewife and mom. How often do I grumble about things that irritate me about my position? Discontentment is a sin against God. It's the same sin Korah committed. That's serious. The "court" God has put me in to keep is God's doing. I should rather be a "doorkeeper" in this court than dwelling in the tents of the wicked (discontented). I hope God will bring this to my memory the next I am grumbling in my heart about things I have to do in my God-given position.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Marsha, I never realized that about Korah's sons, so yes, that Psalm sure does make a lot more sense now! Thank you for sharing that.
In Christ, Donna Hawks-Sweet

Marsha said...

Yes, it was something I had never known before. But when you look at Psalm 84 and Psalm 46, some Bible have a note at the beginning that says who wrote the Psalm and Korah's sons are right there. What a neat thing to learn this past Sunday. I love learning new things from Scripture. It's a book that never gets old.