Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Devotional: Let the Peace of Christ Rule



Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesusgiving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:15-17

I have made the phrases that stand out the most to me today in blue bold type.  
1. Let the peace of Christ rule
2. Be thankful
3. Let the word of Christ dwell within you
4. Do all in the name of the Lord Jesus
5. Give thanks

It is a constant struggle for me to let the peace of Christ rule.  There are so many scary things out in the world.  It's easy to give way to worry over the safety of your children and other loved ones as they go out into the world away from the safety of home.  

It's easy to give way to worry when a loved one suddenly takes ill and the future is uncertain, or to worry about what will happen to my family if I take ill and can not recover.  

It's easy to worry over the affairs of this world...war, terrorism, and violence of all kinds.  

It's easy to worry over foul weather patterns and if it is going to affect how we live our lives.  Many have had their homes ruined by floods or tornadoes or hurricanes.

The key to sleeping easier at night is to let the peace of God rule in your heart.  Note that it is a command.  This isn't something that will happen as we sit passively in our arm chairs.  We have to actively commit all these things to God's keeping, knowing that if any of our worst fears do come to pass, He knows all about it and will use it for our spiritual growth and good and His glory.

The second thing that stands out to me is that I am to be thankful.  I need to commit these things to God's keeping and be thankful that He will do what He deems best in each situation.

Thirdly, I am to let the word of Christ dwell richly within me.  Again, this can't happen sitting passively in my arm chair.  I have to do something about it.  It requires daily feeding on the word of God in Bible reading, study, and fellowship with God's people and listening to His word preached.

Fourth, I am do all I do in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.  By remembering Christ in all that I do, I will not want to do anything that will dishonor His name. It will keep me from doing evil and my life will be more peaceful when my conscience is clean before Him.

Fifth, give thanks. This is the second time giving thanks is mentioned.  When something is mentioned twice in quick succession we can assume it is very important. Giving thanks isn't a feeling.  It's an action.  

We can give thanks even when we don't feel thankful. Remember Paul and Silas in the jail?  I'm sure their circumstances were less than stellar, but they were singing praises to God anyway...a sure sign of a thankful heart.  Do you think they felt especially thankful in those circumstances?  I doubt it, but they gave thanks anyway through singing praises to God. 

These points are things I really need to work on in my life.  I'm too much of a worry wort.  How about you? 

No comments: