Monday, January 02, 2017

Devotional: Three Preparations to Avoid Being Broadsided by Life's Disappointments, Disasters and Devilry (1 Peter 1:13 NASB)

Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:13 NASB)

This is a verse full of action commands. 

*Prepare your minds for action.

The Christian life is a life of mental action. You can't just sit idly by not engaging your mind for action. The Devil's workshop is an idle mind.  If you do not prepare your mind for action then you leave yourself open to all sorts of temptation and sin.  

*Keep sober in spirit.

A mind prepared for action will by default be sober.  This doesn't mean we can't enjoy life and have fun. But it does mean that we are alert to what is going on around us and that we are serious about honoring God in what we do.

*Fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

What is my hope fixed on?  There are so many temporal things I can fix my hope on. But if my hope is in any of these things I will be disappointed at some point. My hope must be fixed completely on the grace of Jesus Christ. It's the only thing that will not disappoint.

If I do these three things, I won't be broadsided by life's disappointments, disasters and devilry.



No comments: