Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Marsha's Musings: We See Jesus (Hebrews 2:5-9 ESV)

For it was not to angels that God subjected the world to come, of which we are speaking. It has been testified somewhere, “What is man, that you are mindful of him, or the son of man, that you care for him? You made him for a little while lower than the angels; you have crowned him with glory and honor, putting everything in subjection under his feet.” Now in putting everything in subjection to him, he left nothing outside his control. At present, we do not yet see everything in subjection to him. But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. (Hebrews 2:5-9 ESV)

Ah, what am I that God would be mindful of me or care for me?  God made man a little lower than the angels, and in the Garden of Eden, before sin entered the world, all things were under man's subjection here on earth. 

However, in the following verses, it becomes obvious that the subject has changed from man to Christ Jesus.   

What does the author have to say about Jesus?

1.  Nothing is outside His control.

This is a comforting thought!  Our circumstances might be less than desirable, but none of that is outside of His control.  We may suffer loss, illness, mocking, even persecution and death.  We may issues within our families or marriages that are less than desirable, but knowing that all things are under His control and that he acts according to His own will is a comforting thought. It means that no matter what happens, He has a plan and a reason for allowing it to happen.


2.  At present, it doesn't appear that everything in subjection to him.

This acknowledges our feelings.  We often feel like God is not in control of all things.  Our world seems to be getting more and more debased each day.  Our circumstances are becoming more challenging each day.  Some times it seems like things are out of control in our world.  When things feel like this we need to focus on nunber one above. 

3. He was made lower than the angels only for a little while when he was here in human form.

4. He was crowned with glory and honor.

5. He suffered death (being separated from God the Father) on behalf of everyone by the grace of God.

If Christ suffered the agony of death and separation from God the Father unjustly at the hands of wicked men, who am I to think that I should be exempt from suffering?  Why should I feel sorry for myself and think that I am being treated unjustly?  When I look at how Jesus was treated for my sake, I have no excuse for complaining. Goodness, this hits right to the heart of things.  When I complain, I have taken my eyes off Jesus and am focusing on myself.

No comments: