Thursday, January 30, 2014

Marsha's Musings: Good Works . (Titus 3:8 KJV)

This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men. (Titus 3:8 KJV)

Good works.  Many people think they are going to heaven because of all the good works they do.  

Good works are important in the life of the believer. We are commanded to do them.  But they do not save.  They will not gain us merit with God.

My pastor often says, "The law is not the way to Life but the the law is a way of life for the Christian."  For those seeking merit with God, they are trying to use the law of good works as a way to Life.

Titus plainly tells us we are not saved by works of righteousness...religious rites or ritual.  If even that won't save us how could we possibly expect regular good works toward our fellow-man to save us?

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (Titus 3:5 KJV)

So why bother with good works at all? 
1. God commands it
2. It is profitable to others

Remember, these things aren't the way to Life, but they should be our way of life if God has saved us. 

Application:
So how do I apply this in my life?  What are good works?  Good works can look different for each Christian and be different depending on what stage of life they are in.

For instance, I'm a wife and mom of two children. One child is an adult working full time and still living at home and the other is a high schooler being homeschooled. My husband has a stressful job and a health condition that causes him to not handle stress well.

At this point of my life, the majority of my good works are going to revolve around the ministry God has given me to my family. That's not to say I don't include ministry to those outside my home. It just won't be as big a slice as my family gets.

Some day when the children have moved on, and I'm no longer homeschooling, my realm of good work will take on a different look as I have more freedom to move outside the home and reach out in service to more people.

The hardest thing for me to remember is that all these things I do are good works that are pleasing to God and are acts of worship and obedience to Him only if I do them with the right attitude and a cheerful heart. If they are done with a bad attitude or to gain approval from others, then it's not a good work in His eyes and it will be burned up as wood, hay and stubble at the Judgment Day.

No comments: