Monday, December 30, 2013

Marsha's Musings: What Possessions Would You Want Brought to You Just Before You Died? (II Timothy 4:13 NKJV)

Bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas when you come—and the books, especially the parchments. (II Timothy 4:13 NKJV)

Paul requests Timothy to bring some things to him.  He wants his cloak. Verse 21 urges him to come before winter, so it would make sense that he would want something to keep him warm.

He also asks for the books.  Obviously, Paul enjoyed his books and read a lot. Some think the books he referred to were his own writings that he wanted to give to the faithful for safe keeping.  I'm not sure I agree as they were already in the safe keeping of someone he knew.

But especially he wants the parchments. Some think these may have been the Old Testament Scriptures and others think it was his own inspired writings that he wanted to pass on to someone for safe keeping.  I think it was probably the Old Testament Scriptures. Paul was nearing the time when he would die and it makes sense to me that he would ask for this to find some comfort in his last days.

I wonder, in my last days, what would I most want brought to me of my earthly possessions? What would I find comfort in?

No comments: