Saturday, December 28, 2013

Headaches & Lending a Listening Ear~This Was My Day Today

I woke up with a nasty headache.  It's one of those that just won't go away no matter how much pain reliever I take.  And it sticks with me all day until bed time.  Then at bed time it goes way and my energy level comes back and I have a hard time going to bed because I don't feel wipe out any more.  Go figure.

Anyway, in spite of the headache, I went out and did my shopping because it had to be done.  Normally I don't visit with anyone but the cashier when I shop because I rarely see anyone I know.  But today was different.  At Walmart I ran into a lady Sarah met when she worked at Costco.  Even though I don't know this lady, she stopped and talked to me for several minutes and ended up sharing with me about single parenting because she is divorced and some of the struggles she has had with that how a local used car salesman took her son under his wing and helped him through some tough things.

Then at Coscto the cashier started talking about her mother who died recently and had dementia.  She told me about how her personality changed and how she didn't know anybody and how one day her son come crying to her because he had gone into her room and she remembered his name and who he was briefly.  I walked out of Costco choking back tears.

It just seems like people need someone to listen to them and they are willing to talk to strangers if they can't find anyone else to listen.

No comments: