Thursday, April 12, 2012

Devotional: Burn Piles & Our Hearts


My husband decided to burn the burn pile in our back yard on Saturday afternoon.  He started around 4:30pm and by county ordinance, the fire was supposed to be completely out by 5pm.  He was putting the last embers out just a little after 5pm..  No one complained and no law enforcement officials came so we figured we were not noticed.

Sunday we went to a friend's house for lunch. They live on a high hill where they have a view of the entire valley.  The husband told Rick how  the day before he saw that someone had a big burn pile going between 4:30pm and 5pm and he was wondering if they were going to get it out by 5pm.  We were a little sheepish, but we admitted we were the guilty party.

This incident reminded me of a verse in Hebrews;

Hebrews 4:13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
We just got caught with our burn pile going a little later than it should of by a friend who could see it from the hill where he lived.  However, God not only can see our burn piles, but he can see us...no creature is hidden from His sight at any time.  He knows everything and we must give an account to Him one day for what we have done.  Sobering words.

Psalm 44:20 speaks about the fact that not only does God know what we do, He digs even deeper into our hearts.

 If we had forgotten the name of our God, Or stretched out our hands to a foreign god, would not God search this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart.

I wonder, if I kept this in my mind at all times, how would my actions and thoughts change?  Would I be more mindful of what I did and said?  Would I be more mindful of the thoughts that I entertain? These are good verses to post up on the fridge or on the bathroom mirror as reminders.

No comments: