Friday, August 19, 2011

Devotional: Think on These Things

 Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.

It was scheduled to have a 40% chance of rain the whole time we were on our vacation in Western Washington. So you can imagine our delight when God gave us the most beautiful weather we could ever ask for the whole time we were there.  While we were on the Washington State Ferry enjoying the cruise through the San Juan Islands, we made a comment about how nice the weather was especially since we expected rain.  The tourist standing near us said, "I always look at this way.  If the forecast says we have a 40% chance of rain, then that means we have a 60% of sunshine!"

I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to put the worst construction on things.  The glass is half empty instead of half full.  It's a 40% chance of rain instead of a 60% chance of sunshine.  Murphy's Law seems to rule the day.

Paul in his letter to the Philippians tells us we are to meditate on whatever is  true,  noble, just,  pure,  lovely,  of good report, virtue and  praiseworthy.  Yet, how often do we do just the opposite?  We walk around with long sad faces because things just aren't going our way.  I'm as guilty as the next person!

Perhaps we need to sit down with pen and paper and write down everything that has gone right with our lives.  Maybe we need to do this daily until we can get in the habit of obeying Paul's admonition in the verse above.  I think it would make an impact on how we feel, our outlook on life in general and it will make being a Christian look a whole lot more appealing to those who need Christ.

How about if we encourage each other to look on the bright side.  When you see or hear me complaining, say something to help me see what I am doing.  I'll try to do the same for you.

No comments: