Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Quiet Time Reflections~Oct 27

1Ki 1:5 ¶ Then Adonijah the son of Haggith exalted himself, saying, "I will be king"; and he prepared for himself chariots and horsemen, and fifty men to run before him. 6 (And his father had not rebuked him at any time by saying, "Why have you done so?" He was also very good-looking. His mother had borne him after Absalom.)

I see in the verses above, a very spoiled child. He was good looking and no doubt popular. It says his father had never rebuked him at any time. So Adonijah thought he could do anything he wanted and have anything he wanted. He completely disrespected his father.

This is disturbing to me as I see those in our nation who really don't give a rip about the older generation. I saw some disturbing video footage on Glenn Beck last night of adults who are in leadership who say that the elders will just have to do without certain medical treatments as they get older so the rest of us can have what we want. It seems a generation of selfish adults has risen up. Is it because they were not denied anything they wanted growing up and now they have an entitlement mentality? It makes me think, how am I raising my own kids? Am I raising them to be spoiled and have a mentality that disrespects their elders and wants gratification at the expense of others? Do I act in this manner?

1Ki 2:2 "I go the way of all the earth; be strong, therefore, and prove yourself a man. 3 "And keep the charge of the LORD your God: to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His judgments, and His testimonies, as it is written in the Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn;

Here is the test of a real man. 1. they keep the charge of the Lord 2. They walk in His ways 3. They keep His statutes, commands, judgments and testimonies
This should be what I need to teach my daughter to look for in a man that she might marry.

1Ki 2:8 "And see, you have with you Shimei the son of Gera, a Benjamite from Bahurim, who cursed me with a malicious curse in the day when I went to Mahanaim. But he came down to meet me at the Jordan, and I swore to him by the LORD, saying, 'I will not put you to death with the sword.' 9 "Now therefore, do not hold him guiltless, for you are a wise man and know what you ought to do to him; but bring his gray hair down to the grave with blood."

Further back, David extended mercy to Shimei and seemed to forgive him. So I was surprised when David gave instructions to Solomon regarding him. David says that Solomon should not hold him guiltless for his sin. Does this mean that David really didn't forgive him? No, I don't think so. It just shows that when we sin, God will forgive us, but often He holds us accountable to suffer the consequences of our sin in this life.

1Ki 3:9 "Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?"

This is a request I should be asking of God. "Give thy servant an understanding heart...that I may discern between good and bad"

Lord, Please help me to take to heart the lessons I've learned from Your Word today. Help me as I raise my kids, that I would not raise up spoiled kids who will create tyranny as adults. Help me to hold them accountable for their actions.

Give me understanding to discern between good and evil.

Help me to teach my daughter the true measure of a man that she might find the right mate for life.

No comments: