Friday, October 23, 2009

Quiet Time Reflections~Oct 23

Today I didn't find any promises, command to obey or timeless principles but I did learn some interesting things in my reading.

David is fleeing because Absalom his son is staging a coup and a man by the name of Shimei comes out and starts cursing David and throwing dust at him as he goes. The man with David wants to go take the man's head off but David says this:

2Samuel 16:10 And the king said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah? so let him curse, because the LORD hath said unto him, Curse David. Who shall then say, Wherefore hast thou done so? 11 And David said to Abishai, and to all his servants, Behold, my son, which came forth of my bowels, seeketh my life: how much more now may this Benjamite do it? let him alone, and let him curse; for the LORD hath bidden him. 12 It may be that the LORD will look on mine affliction, and that the LORD will requite me good for his cursing this day.

How does this apply to my life?

I had to do a double take when I first read this. It's interesting that David said the Lord had told the man to curse him. Here we see that David believes that God is in control of all things, even the evil that a man does. God uses it for His own good purposes in the lives of His people. David shows extreme patience with the man and trusts in the Lord.

Perhaps this should be our stance with those in power who hurl insults at us. We should should just let them alone by not responding to their insults but continue on the offensive, seeking to do what we can to change the course of events and pray for God to defeat the enemy.

My prayer:

Lord, please help me to take a lesson from the life of David. Help me to do what I need to do to help stem the tide of evil in our nation's government by writing my representatives and getting the word out. Help me to not be distracted by the "cursing and dirt throwing" of the enemy, but to trust in You, knowing that You for some reason have ordained this evil in our government and You will eventually use it for good and You will " requite" Your people good for their insults and evil one day. Help us, Lord to patiently wait for that day.

No comments: