Monday, October 12, 2009

Devotional: Things Too High for Me

Things too High for Me

by Marsha Iddings


Psalm 131:1-2 LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me. Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child.


When I read this I couldn't help but think of Deuteronomy 29:29 "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."


How often have I tried to explain away deep theological things that God has not chosen to completely reveal in Scripture to us? Take for instance the concept of the triune nature of God. It is revealed in Scripture (see footnotes) that the Father is God, the Son (Jesus) is God and the Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost) is God and these three make up the One True God. But how this can be is not specifically revealed to us on a human level of understanding. Yet, we often find ourselves exercising ourselves in things too high for us. Or to put it bluntly, we speak with great authority on things we know nothing about.


We can use human examples from nature, such as the apple to try to explain the triune nature of God. The seeds are apple. The flesh is apple. The skin is apple. They are all different but all apple and they all have different functions but they are all still apple. But these examples all have their holes. It is impossible to put God in a box and explain Him. He is much bigger than that.


The Psalmist says, "my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty..." Isn't it the height of haughtiness or pride to think that we can explain God? I am guilty of this. I have tried to wrap my brain around this and explain it to others, in essence, speaking with great authority on something I know nothing about. God has not revealed all the in's and out's of His nature to us in His written Word, the Bible. What He has not revealed, we shouldn't pretend we know. All we can do is humbly accept by faith what He has revealed about His triune nature and quiet ourselves before Him as a child that is weaned of his mother.


Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. (Psalm 46:10)


_________________________________

Footnotes

For further study & consideration:


Jesus is God


Philippians 2:5-7 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:


John 1:1-3 ¶ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.


Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: (note the verse above where it says all things were made by him, referring to the Word)


Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost) is God


Acts 5:3-4 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? {to lie to: or, to deceive} Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.


The Father is God


1 Corinthians 1:3 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.


There is One True God


Deuteronomy 6:4 ¶ Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:


Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.


Isaiah 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.


Isaiah 44:8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.


Isaiah 45:5 ¶ I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:


Mark 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:


Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

No comments: