Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lessons God Has Taught Me

Lessons God Has Taught Me

1. I need to find my fulfillment in God alone. Col. 2:9-10 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

a. I should not seek fulfillment in my children, spouse, church, friends or possesions. They will
all fail. I am complete in Jesus Christ and no other.

2. I can't change those around me to conform to my wants and desires. Love is patient. 1 Cor. 13:4 ¶ Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; (NKJV)

a. I can be flexible or I can be miserable and make everyone around me miserable too.

3. I can change my own attitude even if I can't change my circumstances. Philippians 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

a. My attitude should be one of humility.

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

b. I should think on what is positive in my circumstances.

4. God is sovereign and in control even when my life spins out of my control. Daniel 9:14 "Therefore the LORD has kept the disaster in mind, and brought it upon us; for the LORD our God is righteous in all the works which He does, though we have not obeyed His voice."

6. When God puts me out of commission, I need to remember it is His plan that prevails, not mine. Jer 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(NIV)

a. I need to remember that His plan is for spiritual prosperity, hope and future, not necessarily
temporal prosoperity, hope and future.

b. I need to use the time to rest, pray, spend time in God's Word & if able enjoy getting some
reading done that I never can get to but want to do. Let the down time become green
pastures. Ps 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the
still waters. (KJV)

c. Remember, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Php 4:12-13 I know
both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I a
instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all
things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

7. Realize that sometimes you just can't do it all. We are frail human beings. Ps 39:4 LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.

a. We must learn to prioritize.
b. Make a list of what you need to do.
c. What are your goals?
d. Sort your list to to-do's
1). The four quadrants
Quadrant 1: Urgent/Important--these things will get done regardless
Quadrant 2: Not Urgent/Important--these things are important to your
goals. Spend most of your time here if you want to reach your
goals.
Quadrant 3: Urgent/Not important---these are things that are urgent to
others but not to you
Quadrant 4: Not urgent/Not important---these things are time wasters
2). Use a daily planner
3). Delegate
4). Learn to say no
5). Plan your work and work your plan
e. Remember, there are seasons of life. One season you might need to spend most of your
time at home focusing on your family. Another season, you might be able to take on more
outside responsibilities at church or in the community. Be aware of what season of life
you are in and what your priorities should be during that season. Don't feel guilty about
saying no if it's not the right season for you to do whatever it is you are being asked to do.

8. Seek God with all your heart, soul and mind and be content with what He has provided. This is the essence of godliness. Our sole purpose in life should be to glorify God in what we do
and say. 1 Timothy 6:6 ¶ But godliness with contentment is great gain.(KJV)

No comments: