Sunday, March 29, 2009

Devotional: Psalm 37

Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious

Who or what do I fret about?  

List them:

 

Trust in the LORD, and do good;

How can I trust in the Lord & do good in these circumstances?

I need to determine that God is sovereign over these situations. Nothing takes Him by surprise.

 

 Delight thyself also in the LORD;

How can I delight myself in the Lord?

By making time for Him in my day every day.

By committing to memory those verses that I need.

By listening to music that points me to Him

By reading things that encourage me in my walk with God.

 

Commit thy way unto the LORD;

How do I commit my way unto the Lord?

By realizing that even though I may make my plans, He is the one who directs my steps and His plan and direction will prevail. It may not always be what I would choose, and it may be surprising or distressing. But I need to commit it to Him knowing that His plans are best for me spiritually even though it may be "sanctifying".

 

 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:

How can I rest in the Lord?

I can rest in the Lord, by realizing and knowing that He is in control. I don't need to fret or respond in anger & frustration.

 

 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath:

How can I do this?

By taking a deep breath, backing off from the situation and asking for God's wisdom to respond in a godly manner.

 

 Depart from evil, and do good;

How can I depart from evil?

The answer is here...do good instead! Also, depart...get out of the way of the tempation! Don't even consider it.

 

 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way

How can I wait on the Lord & keep His way?

Waiting implies patience. It implies not being impulsive. Not jumping to conclusions. Not reacting in the heat of the emotion.

 

Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright

How can I do this?

Find those whose lives are upright and make note of them. Watch them and be imitators of them. Follow their examples. But bewar that they are fallen and don't hold them up on a pedestal and to standards of perfection that they can not keep. If they fall, don't let it destroy you. Keep following all the commands that went before...do not fret, trust, commit, rest, etc.

No comments: