Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Marsha's Musings: Clogged Sinks & Attitude Adjustments

As I write this, it is Tuesday the 26th and I am waiting for the stuff to drain down the sink. Our sink has been draining sluggishly for a couple weeks now. My husband is not a plumber nor mechanically minded. He thought he would help out and poured some stuff down it that is supposed to keep septic tanks from backing up. Then he used the toilet plunger on it. Now it is so clogged up stuff won't even drain at all. It just sits there looking gross.

I thought maybe there was a bunch of hair caught up around the plug, so I got out my wrench and flashlight and a small plastic tub to catch drips and got under the sink and removed the nut that hold the bar in place that holds the plug in place. (If you understand that, then you're pretty good!) I was amazed to not find any hair wrapped up around the plug. I poked a screw driver down the drain, hit on something soft and tried to bring it up. But alas, it seems I pushed it down further. I wasn't able to pull anything up out of the drain. So I have poured baking soda down and vinegar and let that bubble up. So far no success.

I am working against the clock. I have physical therapy at 10:30 for my sore neck/shoulder muscles. I want to finish this plumbing job before I go to PT because if I have to work on it after PT, then my PT time is really a waste. I'll undo all my PT will have worked to fix for me. So I am stressed.

My attitude needs adjustment now. It's kind of like that clogged drain pipe. Things are starting to back up. What is really getting me is the first three chapters I read last night in a book by Jerry Bridges called "Respectable Sins". Since I read in that book, it seems the areas of sin that are easy to excuse keep popping up...anger, impatience, critical spirit, etc. It's like I am being tested to see if I really paid attention....I have a feeling as I go through this study with the ladies of my church that I am going to have a lot of things pop up that will test my resolve to work on these sins.....

Well, back to the sink and the clogged up drain...and the attitude adjustments.

No comments: