Monday, August 18, 2008

Homeschool: Take Another Lap

Deuteronomy 8:11-12,17-18 Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day: Lest when thou hast eaten and art full,...thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this...( fill in the blank). But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to... (fill in the blank).

I have been having such a good month! Much has been accomplished. I have been proud of all that I have been able to do. I’ve been very busy. Too busy. I have neglected my quiet time with the Lord.


One morning recently, I was awakened at 5:30am with a tremendous headache. I got up, took a couple Tylenol and went back to bed. Finally I was able to sleep some more and woke up later, still with a headache, but at least it was bearable. I didn’t feel like getting out of bed though, so I rolled over and picked up my Bible and began to read where I had left off. “..forget not the LORD thy God...lest thou say...My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this...remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to...” Uh, oh. It’s time to take another lap around Mt. Sinai...until I learn that it is God that gives me the power and strength to accomplish anything. It is He that gives me the good days. It is all by His mercy that I am able to do what I have done.


It is so easy to take credit and become proud. It is often tempting in home-schooling to be proud of our accomplishments or to push our children harder then we should so WE can be proud of what we have accomplished. I’ve noticed two things as I read the Old Testament that God hates. He hates pride and he hates complaining. He sends me on wilderness excursions around Mt. Sinai often for these two things.


How are you doing? Will I meet you coming around the other side of the mountain in the wilderness? I hope not. There is one comfort in all of this. It is said in the Old Testament as well as the New:

Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so
the LORD thy God chasteneth thee. (Deuteronomy 8:5)
For whom the Lord loveth
he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. (Hebrews 12:6)



If God disciplines you, then it means you are one of his children. He won’t discipline those who are not his own. I find comfort in this. Since God comes after me when I mess up, I have assurance that I am one of His children.

No comments: