Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Homeschool: Just One Step At a Time

Psalms 119:133 Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.

Psalms 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

"Just one step at a time, Mommy. Just one step", my then four year old son told me. He had broken his leg and had a cast from his thigh to his ankle. I was concerned about how he would be able to get downstairs the next morning, but was surprised to see him already on the couch before I had come down stairs. I had asked him how he got down the stairs and that was his response.


His attitude toward his difficulty spoke volumes to me. I had just been diagnosed with two tumors on my thyroid and had several tests and a surgery to go through to determine if it was malignant or not. I was also suffering from a broken rib, although at the time I didn't know it was broken. Later I would learn I have severe bone loss that caused my rib to break. And, I was in physical therapy because of neck pain and stiffness. It was tempting to go to pieces (and I did a few times) with worry over what would come next.


My four year old taught me through example to take it all one step at a time and the Lord taught me to trust Him for wisdom and grace to take each step as it came. Now, I don't claim to have the lessons all down pat. I get impatient and I still find myself trying to take five or six steps at a time. But I am learning with each trial that comes my way to take it one step at a time and let my Lord do the leading.


We as home-school parents can apply this advice to our home-school experience. If we look at the magnitude of the task we will crumble in despair. We have to take the task of educating our children one step at a time. Then later we’ll look back and see God’s faithfulness to lead us through this adventure.


Are you in the middle of a trial, worried about what's ahead? Try taking the advice of a four-year old. It's really good advice!

No comments: