Monday, March 16, 2020

Lessons to Learn Amid the COVID-19 Crisis

 See the source image


We live in interesting times.  Washington State has the distinction of being the epicenter for the US Coronavirus outbreak.  It's beginning to sound like I live in a leper colony.  We have closures of schools and day cares.  All sit-down eating establishments are now closed to eating in.  Take out or drive thru meals are fine.  The libraries are closed.  Grocery stores are being inundated with panicked people cleaning off grocery store shelves.  And, the virus continues to multiply, mostly West of the Cascades, however, there are a few scattered cases on the East side now. 

For many people, all the closures are even more reason to panic.  Those with young children are scrambling to find day care so they don't have to miss work.  Many people are having their hours cut or are being temporarily laid off.  Small businesses face uncertainty as the costs of lost revenue trickles down.  These are uncertain times.

I had a trip planned to go visit my family in Walla Walla, but since we have learned that a person can be contagious for a number of days before getting sick, I opted to stay at home.  Nathaniel works with the public.  He serves hundreds of customers on his shifts.  He could be exposed, bring it home to me and I could get it unknowingly and pass it on to my mom and family if I visited.  So in an abundance of caution...no visit to Walla Walla.  That is sad, but I don't want to be responsible for making anyone sick with this.

On our home front, life goes on as usual. Weeds, laundry, meal preparation, the guys going to work...it just goes on.  The only routine change is Sunday.  We watch the sermon online instead of going to church.  If a lock-down were to be imposed, life would not really be that different for us except the guys might not get to go to work.  I guess that is the good thing about having an uncomplicated life with not much going on outside the home. 

When all these announcements of closures began, at first I was like a lot of others...shocked and half panicked. Getting on Facebook to talk about the empty shelves and closures often led to complaining.  Yes, guilty as charged.  But as time has passed, I've settled into just rolling with it.  Yes, it's crazy and it's shocking, but I'm not panicked about it.  God is still on the throne.  I bet if we are open to it, we would find a lot of good lessons to learn from this time.

One lesson I'm trying to learn is to just look around me.  What needs to be done?  Just do the first task that I see that needs to be done instead of sitting around on Facebook scrolling through all the terrible things that are happening and reading all the unnecessary comments on the news articles.  This is my lesson today.  I got caught up in that today and made some snarky remarks in response to some of the unnecessary comments...basically adding my unnecessary comments to the snarky soup.  I can do better than that.  Lord help me to be better than that. As the First Lady says, "Be Best".

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.

No comments: