Monday, October 02, 2017

Devotional:The Cliff Behind the Old Mansion


The cliff is on the other side of the iron fence in this photo.

The Cliff Behind the Old Mansion

By Marsha Iddings


Matthew 14:23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

During my growing up years when we lived in the old mansion on the cliff, my place of solitude was half way down the cliff behind our old house. There was an old tree stump there that served as a place for me to sit. I spent a lot of time on my stump, day dreaming, watching the trains go by, enjoying the bay and waving to the engineers and the men who rode the caboose. I often took my Bible and journal down there with me and would spend time communing with God there. Except for the trains that passed by, it was usually a peaceful, quiet place to sit and think and pray. I usually climbed back up the cliff feeling refreshed and more relaxed.

Jesus often refreshed Himself from the busyness of the day by going off alone to pray. He said, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) We are to follow His example. If we don't, we run the risk of burning out. This is advice that I need, because I have trouble taking time out these days. Life is so full of activity and worries that it is almost overwhelming at times. Jesus doesn't just say, "If you want to, come unto me and I will give you rest." He says, "Come and I will give you rest." It looks to me like it is a command to obey. When we are overworked and overwrought with life, we are commanded to come to Jesus for rest. When we obey Him, He will give us rest.

Looking at it more as a command to obey, puts a new perspective on the importance of setting aside time for spiritual refreshment and rest. This is why the Sabbath was instituted as one of the creation ordinances. When God completed His work of creation, He rested on the seventh day.

Genesis 2:2-3 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.


And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

We are to follow His example and rest one day out seven, focusing our attention on worship and spiritual refreshment. One of the commandments is, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." (Exodus 20:8)

Do you have a place where you can go to refocus yourself on Christ, pray and rest? Do you do this regularly? This is a challenge for me, so I am sure it must be a challenge for many others as well. Let's commit together to come to Jesus regularly for rest and see how it affects our lives over time.

No comments: