Monday, October 16, 2017

Devotion: Spying on People in the Old Mansion

This was the bathroom.  There used to be a window on the wall near the towel rack. Subsequent owners remodeled and removed the window. 

Proverbs 5:21 For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.
Proverbs 15:3 ¶ The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.

I was a typical little sister. Being four years younger than my sister, she was bringing home boys after her dates. Of course, I was supposed to be in bed by that time. But I would sneak into the upstairs bathroom, open the window and watch what was going on in the kitchen by looking at the reflection in the neighbor's window.

Later as she was saying goodbye to her date in the big hallway downstairs, I would sneak out in the upstairs hallway and peek over the banister to watch them down below.


Another one of my spying tactics was the air vent in my bedroom floor. Those old turn of the century houses didn't have central heating ducts. Instead, they had a vent in the floor that could be opened to let heat up from downstairs. This vent worked well as a spot to spy on who was down in the living room. So occasionally, I would lay down on the floor and look through the vent and listen to the activities going on below.

My first room in the old house.  The heat vent has since been covered by carpet, but it was in the middle of the room.



To my sister's credit, she never did anything worthy of tattling to my parents about. I wouldn't have tattled anyway because I would have gotten myself in trouble for spying! (Now I am telling all my secrets!)

There is One who sees all that we do. No, He is not spying on us. He has plainly told us in His Word that he sees all we do. It's no secret. He ponders our path. Is it a path that honors Him? He sees the good and the evil. God not only sees what we do, but He also sees what is in our hearts.
Jeremiah 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every
man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.(KJV)

Our outward actions may deceive man into thinking we are upright, holy people, but what is in our hearts? Eventually, what is in our hearts will be revealed. What is the condition of yours?

1 comment:

Domestically Inclined said...

Desperately wicked, ah but God!