Monday, September 25, 2017

Devotional: More Old Mansion Memories





More Old Mansion Memories


by Marsha Iddings



Psalm 77:11 I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.



I've been in a reflective mood lately. Last week I wrote about the old mansion I lived in part of my growing up years. That old place holds many memories for me.



When I was in my last two years of high school, it was just my mom and dad and I rattling around in the big old house like peas in a churn. I had the choice of what bedroom I wanted to sleep in by that time. I chose the room that I told you about in my last devotional. Remember? It was the one where all the plaster fell off the closet walls and ceiling. My dad had completely fixed the closet and room up. He put up new sheetrock and it was painted a bright peachy/orange color. I liked this room because of its brightness and it had a window that over-looked Bellingham Bay. I loved the bay.

My favorite time of year was the fall season. It would be chilly in the mornings and a thick layer of fog would blanket the area. It was so cozy to snuggle down in the covers and listen to the deep rhythmic blasts of the fog horns on the ships that were coming and going. I'd finally get up and make my way down stairs to the kitchen and the smell of coffee would greet me. I don't like to drink coffee, but I love to smell it. There was something comforting about getting up and smelling the coffee. Maybe it was because I knew my Mom and Dad would be there at the kitchen table if there was coffee brewing on the stove. These are the things good memories are made of and God has blessed me with many.

The Psalmist says he will remember the works of the Lord and His wonders of old (Psalm 77:11). In the passage right above this verse the Psalmist is in the pit of depression. Then he says, "This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High." When things got tough, he refused to stay in the pit. He dusted himself off and began to recount all the blessings God has given him in the past. It's healthy to remember the good times of years gone by and thank God for them. Thinking on these happier times can help boost your spirits. The Apostle Paul says, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:8) Do you have a happy memory that you can think on and thank God for today?




No comments: