Monday, May 08, 2017

Devotional: Divine Interruptions

Now it happened that while the crowd was pressing around Him and listening to the word of God, He was standing by the lake of Gennesaret;2 and He saw two boats lying at the edge of the lake; but the fishermen had gotten out of them and were washing their nets. 3 And He got into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, and asked him to put out a little way from the land. And He sat down and began teaching the people from the boat. Luke 5:1-3

We have Simon Peter with his fishing buddies washing their nets out after having been fishing.  This was how they made their living.  They didn't fish for the fun of it like so many we see out on the Snake and Clearwater Rivers here.  This was serious stuff for them.  If they didn't catch the fish, they didn't get paid and they didn't make a living.

So we see Simon Peter is hard at work.  No doubt he and his buddies saw the crowds of people and wondered what the occasion was, but instead of leaving their nets and walking over to see what was going on, they kept right on working.

Jesus saw Simon Peter's boat and walked over and climbed in.  Now if I was him, I'd be saying, "Whoa, hey dude, what are doing there? That happens to be my boat!"  What's more Jesus asked him to leave his nets and take him out a little way from land so He could teach the people.  About this time, I'd be thinking in my head, "I have work to do and this dude jumps in  my boat and expects me to take him out from shore and now I'm stuck out here and I can't get my work done!"

Then we see in verse four, this:

When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” 5 Simon answered and said, “Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but I will do as You say and let down the nets.”

Simon Peter explains that they have worked all night and caught nothing, but to humor Jesus, he lets the nets down anyway and they catch a huge amount of fish.

 I see in this passage a couple of things.


  1.  Peter was a hard worker.  He made good use of his time and so when Jesus got in his boat and asked him to take it out a little ways so he could teach the people, Peter didn't appear to protest. His schedule could flex.  Do I spend my time working to get my chores etc. done, so that when God allows an interruption to come into my life, I have the ability to leave my work without getting ruffled, because I know I've done what needs to be done each day?
  2. Peter was focused. When Peter saw the crowds on the shore, he didn't let it distract him from his work.  He continued to work.  Do I focus on my work until it is done or do I let Facebook, the newest electronic gadget or app, or any myriad of none essential things distract me from what I should be doing? I believe this is why Peter was able to change his schedule for Jesus...he focused on his work, not on what was popular with the crowds at the time.  When Jesus interrupted him, he was able to change his schedule at a moments notice.
Being a focused, hard worker at home are two things I struggle with.  To be honest, I go in spurts.  But I do find myself getting distracted and wasting precious time.  When I do that, then when God brings interruptions into my life, I am ruffled because I'm so far behind and the interruption is going to make me further behind.  My desire is to be more focused, get more done and be ready to be flexible when those interruptions come.  


No comments: