Monday, December 05, 2016

Devotional: Your Comforts Delight My Soul



Unless the Lord  had been my help,
My soul would soon have settled in silence.
18 
If I say, "My foot slips,"
Your mercy, O Lord, will hold me up.
19 
In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
Your comforts delight my soul. 
Psalm 94:17-19

Anxieties.  We all have them.  It comes with the territory. Goodness, there are a thousand things to be anxious about!  I won't even name them because in naming the things we are anxious about, something will be left out.  So just think in your mind what you are anxious about right now.  That will work.

Okay, so do you have in your mind the things that make you anxious?  Good.  Now let's think about the Lord's comforts and let that delight our souls.  What are His comforts?

God is sovereign over all.

If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people tremble?

If a calamity occurs in a city has not the Lord done it?

Amos 3:6

Now, I know this verse is not a touchy feely verse.  In fact, for some, it is a trigger to send them running for safe spaces!  But I find comfort in this.  Why? Because it tells me that God in control.  If trial and difficulty come into my life it is because God has allowed it and He only allows that which will strengthen me and make me grow stronger.  There is a popular song out that says, "If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger."  You know what?  The trials of this earth will make me stronger and when the time comes that they overtake me and I die...guess what Paul says! 

 Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 


We are winners no matter which way we look at it.  We become stronger through the trials we face and if those trials take us out of this world, well then we are a winner on that account too because we go to heaven to be with Jesus!

For God's comforts to delight your soul, you need to look at your anxieties from a different perspective, God's perspective instead your own anxiety ridden perspective.  Only in His mercy will He keep your foot from slipping! What wonderful comfort.





No comments: