Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Marsha's Musings: Simplicity (2 Cor. 1:12)



For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward. -2 Corinthians 1:12

When I read this the word simplicity stood out to me. I looked up the Greek word for it and learned that it means 

1) singleness, simplicity, sincerity, mental honesty

a) the virtue of one who is free from pretence and hypocrisy

2) not self seeking, openness of heart manifesting itself by generousity

It seems that all of the above meanings can fit in this verse.  The definition that sticks out to me is number 2.  

You see, I have difficulty with this in the area of hospitality.  As Flylady (the homemaking guru) puts it.  I have CHAOS...Can't Have Anybody Over Syndrome.  

This makes me embarrassed to invite others over, therefore causing me to not have an openess of heart and a lack of generosity in sharing my home with others.  The Bible says we are to be hospitable, but CHAOS prevents that.

This word simplicity means more to me than just the Greek meanings.  It means I need to simplify my life...get rid of things I don't need and make my home easier to clean and neaten up so that CHAOS is banished. How can I be generous with my home if I am always concerned about  the mess it is in?  How can I be generous and open with others if my thoughts are about the clutter that pervades my life?

Simplicity...This is what I want for my home and life.  What can I do today to work toward that goal, so that my home will be a place I can bring people into and  serve them with godly sincerity and hospitality without worrying about the CHAOS.

No comments: