Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Marsha's Musings: My New Year's Goal (1 John 2:15-17 KJV)





Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. (1 John 2:15-17 KJV)

Okay, these verses hurt.  Some would take these verses to mean that Christians should not watch TV, go to movies, drink, dance or "go with the girls who do".

We live in the world, but we are not of the world.  We are not to love the world or the things in the world more than we love God.  We can use the things of the world and enjoy them, but our love for God should be so much more than our affection for this world that given a choice between the two we would always choose God.

We are told to seek first the kingdom of God.  If we do this, then we will not fall into the trap of loving the world.

This is harder to do than it sounds.  I think of my own use of electronic devices such as my iPod, iPad and computer, or even the TV.  How do I use these things?  Do they take up so much of my time that my time with God gets neglected as well as the calling of wife and mother that God has put me here for?  

There is nothing inherently wrong with these things, but when they start taking over my life and my duties as wife and mother and the upkeep of the home begins to go South, then my love for the world and the things of the world are creeping in.

Thinking about social media, the lust of the flesh is there.  Many extra marital affairs begin on social media.  The lust of the eyes is there.  The sensual photos  that people post up, the marketing schemes that you see in the margins are all aimed at the lust of the eyes.  The pride of life is on social media.  People want to be noticed on social media.  Some get bent out of shape if they don't get any "likes" on what they post.  Others post up how hard life is and write scathing comments if they don't get the sympathy they were hoping for.  Otherss post up selfies all the time to draw attention and comments about how beautiful they are.

I have been  guilty of a number of these things mentioned.  It's Dec. 31 today, New Year's Eve.  I want to make it a goal this New Year to spend less time using my electronic devices for wasting time, and seeking attention and more time using them to help me be more organized and get the things done God has called me to do.  I know I have resolved to do this many times and keep failing.  With God's help, I hope to do better this year.  Do me a favor, will you?  Keep me accountable to this.  If you have read this, please ask me once in a while how I am doing on this goal for the New Year.

No comments: