Sunday, September 21, 2014

Marsha's Musings: You Were Called to This ( 1 Peter 3:8-9 KJV)



Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. (1 Peter 3:8-9 KJV)

This is really straight forward.  There is not much to be added. But there is one phrase or idea that is repeated twice in 1 Peter, in relation to suffering wrongfully. 

For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: (1 Peter 2:20-21 KJV)

Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. (1 Peter 3:9 KJV)

This idea constantly comes back to my mind whenever I feel like I'm being treated unfairly.  When I start to get upset, the still small voice says, "You were called to this."  

It doesn't make the situation any more pleasant or easy, but it does help me to deal with it a little better if I remember this is what God has called me to.  He has called me to respond, to being treated wrongfully, with grace.  Even if I'm not necessarily treated wrongfully,  but rather taken for granted and I begin to chafe, I am reminded, "You were called to this."

God put me where I am. He put you where you are.  He has called you to be where you are at this moment in life.  That is not to say, that if you are in a physically abusive situation that you enable the abuser by staying there. No, by all means leave the situation! If running for your life is what you have to do, then do it...you are called to this (to run) as well.

Scripture says elsewhere that we are to do all to the glory of God.  We are called to endure being treated wrongfully with patience.  You see, our reward isn't here on earth. Our reward is in heaven waiting for us.  

...an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, (1 Peter 1:4 KJV)

No comments: