Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Marsha's Musings: Don't Be Wishy Washy (James 5:12)

But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation. -James 5:12

How often do we hear people...even ourselves say, "I swear I didn't do it!"  This verse says we are to simply say yes or no when questioned. Yes or no when asked to make a committmtent.  

I don't know about you, but I have a hard time being straight forward with yes or no answers, especially if it involves potentially making someone unhappy or making myself look potentially bad.  For example, it seems like if I donate one time to a good cause then they think we have a bottomless pocketbook and call almost weekly begging for more money.  We have some high medical expenses hitting us now, so my standard answer is, "We can't afford to donate again now because he have some high medical expenses."  Of course they won't accept that answer and try to get a committmtent for a lower amount.  Of course they will never take no for an answer, so why waste my breath with the reasons?  Let my yes be yes and my no be no.  

Really, if I followed the principle here life would be less complicated and I wouldn't be so wishy washy.

How does this verse show the character of God?
God is decisive, not wishy washy.

No comments: