Monday, February 10, 2014

Marsha's Musings: Who Put Paul In Prison? (Philemon 1:23-25 ESV)

Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends greetings to you, and so do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, and Luke, my fellow workers. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. (Philemon 1:23-25 ESV)

I find it significant that Paul doesn't say he or Epaphras are prisoners of the Romans or any enemy. In the beginning of the book he says he is a prisoner of Jesus Christ and he says here that Epaphras is a fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus.

This is significant because it tells me that Paul believed in God's sovereignty over all circumstances of life, be they good or bad.  It wasn't an enemy that put him in prison, it was Christ that allowed that to happen.

How do I look at the circumstances of my life?  I often get torked out of shape when things go wrong.  I get tied up with worry or frustration far too easy. How should this be different for me if I truly believed in God's sovereignty?

No comments: