Friday, November 22, 2013

Marsha's Musings: Useful to the Master

Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. (2 Timothy 2:20, 21 ESV)

I have some old dishes that are never used because they are antiques. Some are hand painted and may not even be safe to eat off of. So they sit on display in the antique lawyer's book shelf.  Yes, they do sit in a place of honor, but they are not for honorable use. They are not useful to me except for the sake of remembering who they belonged to years ago. They are for dishonorable use in the sense that they are not useful to me. They are beautiful, however.

Then I have dishes that are used every day. Some are chipped and faded from use.  But they are for honorable use because they are useful to me.

Am I a vessel that is honorable or dishonorable for the Master's use?  Do I look good to others but really not useful to building up the church of God or am I possibly not impressive to others,  not extremely visible but very useful to the Master?

No comments: