Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Marsha's Musings: Don't Get Your Shorts in a Twist

You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. (II Timothy 2:3, 4 NKJV)

Endure hardship as a good soldier.  Most of us don't know what hardship really is.  We think we do.  We complain loudly when we are inconvenienced.  We tell our friends and family about how hard we have it and feel justified in being crabby because we had a hard day.  Is this enduring hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ?

I think of those Christians in the Middle East who are being driven from their homes, beaten, and many are slaughtered simply because they are the "wrong religion".  This is more of what Paul was talking about when he said endure hardness as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.  

As I think about it in this light, the second part of the passage becomes more clear.  "No one engaged in warfar entangles himself in the affairs of this  life that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier."  When we carry on about things that cause us inconvenience and frustration as if our life is so difficult, are we not entangling ourselves in the affairs of this life?

Our goal is to please Christ.  Are we pleasing Him when we get our shorts in a twist over things that annoy us?  Sadly, no.  I think this is what Paul meant when he talked about not entagling ourselves in the affairs of this life.

Boy, do I have a long ways to go.  Sometimes I get my shorts twisted up into such a tight little ball it's a wonder my family can stand me.  This is definitly an area I need to work on.

No comments: