Thursday, April 07, 2011

Marsha's Musings: Getting My Hindquarters Kicked

I was approached a couple of weeks ago, by one of the board members of a group I am a member of, to think about becoming a board member for the coming school year.  I must confess that my first thoughts were, "No way, I have too much on my plate right now."  But she asked me to think on it and pray about it and attend the next board meeting before making my decision.
 
I must confess that my attitude has been less than good in thinking about it.  I have a lot going on lately and through the month of August. I feel stretched all ready.
 
But I opened my Bible program to meditate on the next scripture I had read and highlighted a week or two ago and here were the verses below:
 
Hebrews 13:15-16 Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.
 But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

God has a way of hitting me between the eyes ever so often and this is one of them.  What is a sacrifice?  It is something you offer willingly that cost you to give it.  How does giving thanks cost me?  It costs me my own selfish desires and self pity that I would rather wallow in because I am being inconvinenced in some way. 

Then the next verse says, "...do not forget to do good and to share...".  This is usually taken to mean doing good to those less fortunate and sharing what you have in terms of money or possessions.  But when God hit me between the eyes with it, I realized for me in this situation, it means to do good, I need to relieve someone else from their position on the board, take my turn at it and share my time and efforts for the good of the group for a time.

Is this something God wants me to do now?  Or is He just working on my attitude at this point and preparing me to take on a board position in the future?  Will I be doing my family justice to take this on at this time?  Or will it require sacrifices of time when they need me home?  These are things I need to consider and weigh. I need to consult with Rick and see what his thoughts are about it as well.

If this is what God wants me to do at this time, I am now willing to do it.  But I need to know that my family is behind me on it.  I am attending a board meeting today, although I can only make  1/4 of the meeting, but I hope to learn a bit more of what it requires so I can discuss it with my family tonight and decide if this is what I should do or not at this time.

This is the beauty of God's Word.  It takes you up by the nape of the neck and whacks you up side the head when you most need to have your hindquarters kicked.  Actually, this is reassuring because it says in Hebrews 12 that if God doesn't discipline you, then you not one of His children. (Hebrews 12:7-12)

No comments: