Monday, October 31, 2016

Devotional: Complaining versus Contentment



Philippians 2:14-15 Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,

I don't know about you, but complaining is a weak point for me.  Growing up I was constantly admonished for complaining.  "Quit complaining!", was a familiar refrain that I remember hearing.  Now that I am older, I see how bad complaining is, but I still struggle to keep it in check.

Complaining is being discontented with God's Providence in our lives. In this verse, the reason we are not to complain and dispute about things is so that the world will have nothing to accuse us of.  We are lights among a crooked and perverse generation.  Complaining and disputing is what they do.  If we act just like them, where is our light?  This is convicting. 

It says do ALL things without complaining and disputing.  This doesn't leave any wiggle room, does it?  The Apostle Paul said, "I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content." (Philippians 4:11 ESV)  Can we say this?  It's not just a matter of keeping our mouths shut so that no complaining words come out.  It's a matter of the heart.  It's a deep abiding contentment in whatever our situation is at the time.  It's knowing that whatever God in His providence has brought into our lives, He is allowing it for our good and His glory.  I have a long ways to go, how about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm working on it right now.