Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sermon Notes from 2nd Service~Nov. 15

Micah 6:8 Mike McCormick


He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?


It's the Old Testament version of Romans 12:1-2. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.


My conduct toward God should be in gratitude for His mercy towards me.


"If our theology is based on grace then our ethic should be motivated by gratitude."~Tom Lyons


What does it mean to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?


If we are not interested in what this means and walking in this way, we can not call ourselves Christians.


The first two requirements are how to treat your neighbor, the second table of the law. The second requirement summarizes the first table of the law.


To do justly--render to all their due. Do wrong to none and do right to all including our enemies. Do good to their name. Do we bring others good name down? Do we bring them down to make us look better?


To love mercy--this goes beyond the act. We are to love mercy. Kind to all who need us. We must not only show mercy but delight in it. We are to do acts of mercy cheerfully. Take pleasure in showing mercy. Luke 6:27-36


To Walk humbly with your God.---humble to be empty. Apart from God I can do nothing. All pride and confidence in the flesh is condemned. We need to entertain a low and humble opinion of ourselves and a high esteem of Almighty God. It must be our constant care and attempt to be pleasing to Him. We must bring every thought to obedience to Him. Murmur not by the final determination that God's providence makes. Look to Job for an example.


Ann Steel, Baptist Hymn writer lost her mother when she was three years old. She had an accident when she was 19 that left her an invalid. Her fiance drowned two days before they were to be married. These are the words she wrote:


My God, My Father, Blissful Name

1. My God, my Father, blissful name
Oh may I call Thee mine?
May I with sweet assurance claim
A portion so divine?
This only can my fears control
And bid my sorrows fly;
What harm can ever reach my soul
Beneath my Father’s eye?


2. Whate’er Thy providence denies
I calmly would resign
For Thou art just, and good, and wise
O bend my will to Thine
Whate’er Thy sacred will ordains
O give me strength to bear;
And let me know my Father reigns
And trust His tender care


3. If pain and sickness rend this frame
And life almost depart
Is not Thy mercy still the same
To cheer my drooping heart
If cares and sorrows me surround
Their power why should I fear?
My inward peace they cannot wound
If Thou, my God, art near

©2002 Velveteen Songs.

No comments: