Saturday, August 16, 2008

Marsha's Musings: Teen Agers & Mom's Worries

Ok, I admit it. I don't have a handle on worry! My daughter went with six other girls two hours drive away to Silverwood/Boulder Beach Amusement Park & Water Park Thursday. I honestly tried to hand it all over to God to take of for me, but when the dark of evening came, I found myself fighting mild little panic attacks, wondering if they were all ok. The drive after dark is what bothered me more than anything else about it.

The phone rang at 9:30pm and it was my daugher. "Mom we got a late start leaving the park. We won't be home until around 11:30pm." She was supposed to be home around 11:00pm. Well, ok, I was relieved she called.

11:30pm came and went. I tried to occupy myself with my story on my MP-3 player and played a game of word poker at the same time. After 11:35pm, none of that worked anymore. The phone rang again. "Mommy, we are about 15 minutes outside of town and we need to drop the others off at their houses. I should be home in half an hour."

Midnight came and went. I started to pace the floor a little. I went and opened the curtains so I could sit on the loveseat and watch for cars. My heart was starting to race a bit. Headlights! They turned into my driveway! I was so happy she was home at last.

The college student that drove them came to the door with her. She was so appologetic I thought she was going to get down on the ground and grovel at my feet. I felt sorry for her because she was obviously exhausted and embarrassed half to tears for not getting my daughter home at the time she said she would. I told her, "it's ok...go home and go to bed", she gratefully accepted.

We are just getting a good start on the teen years...my daughter is 15. Does a mom's worries get worse as time goes or does it get easier????

I know God is in control, but somehow those worry demons keep popping their nasty heads up and saying things like..."yes, God is in control, but what if He decides to allow a disaster? What if???? What then????" Yikes! God isn't going to allow anything to happen to me or my family that He and I can't handle together and He will bring good out of what ever happens. But why can't I seem to keep this straight in my head when it is past midnight and my daughter still isn't home?

No comments: