Friday, July 25, 2008

Frugal Friday: Menus & Grocery Shopping Tips

It's FrugalFriday!
If you would like some frugal tips click on the icon above. It will take you to a website dedicated to Frugal Tips. From time to time I will post some tips of my own. Here's my Frugal Friday Tip!
  • Each week, pick a day to sit down and write up menu plans for each meal for the coming seven days. If you check the sale ads you may be able to plan your menus around what is on sale. (I know it's tedious! But the rewards are good.)
  • Once you have your menus written up, then check all the recipes for the ingredients you will be needing and make a list. I detail my list right down to how many eggs I need that week. If I am short, then I buy another doz. My friend who I buy eggs from is amazed that I know how many eggs I need each week! Don't forget things that you must buy every week regardless of your menu plans.
  • Once your list is made up...go shopping in your own cupboards. Erase anything you already have and don't need to buy.
  • Then pencil in beside each item the initial of the store you need to buy the other items at, so you can see where you need to go and won't forget anything when you are there.
  • Don't forget your coupons!
  • Plan your trip so that you use less gas if possible and go on a day other than Saturday.
  • Check the sale ads to see what day the sales start and end and plan your trip to coincide with the beginning end of the sales so items are well stocked when you go.
  • Mornings are typically less busy at the stores. You can shop faster and get home quicker if the store isn't a zoo when you go.

2 comments:

Domestically Inclined said...

All great ideas Marsha! It does take time to be frugal doesn't it? I once had a link to a site that gave you recipes in reverse. You just had to type in your igredients and it would give you a recipe. Of course I dont' remember where to find it now. But it did help in a pinch. Better to plan ahead like you described. Blessings in Jesus!

HisBeloved said...

You can find this at: Recipe Matcher :D