Monday, July 03, 2006

Better or Bitter?

Ps 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.

I was reading John MacArthur's notes in my Bible and he said that the word 'burden' speaks of our circumstances. I found that to be meaningful and comforting to me. Just for the fun of it, I decided to look up the Hebrew word for burden. I was surprised. My Power Bible has "{burden: or, gift}" after the verse. Strong's Hebrew dictionary says this: "properly, what is given (by Providence), i.e. a lot:--burden". Young's Literal Translation says it this way: "Cast on Jehovah that which He hath given thee, And He doth sustain thee, He doth not suffer for ever the moving of the righteous."

Have you ever thought of your circumstances as given to you by God? What's more, have you ever thought of your circumstances as a gift? When things are going pretty good, maybe. But when things are bad it's hard to think of them as being given to me by God, much less a gift! How can this be?

The Bible says, " Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." (James 1:17) How can my bad circumstances be a "good and perfect gift" from the Father? Romans 5:3-5 gives us the answer. "Ro 5:3-5 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.."

Our circumstances can either make us better or bitter. When we see the "burden" as a gift given to us by God, then He will make us better---more sanctified and fit for Heaven. What is most comforting is that He will sustain us through our trials and He will make us persevere through them.

Dear Father, I so often forget that my "burdens" are designed and given by You. But when I think of them in this light, it gives me much comfort because I know that You are in control and You have a perfect plan and purpose for each one to accomplish in my life. Give me eyes to see the gifts within the burdens. Amen.

Verses taken from the NKJV

--

Please Visit Me on the Web
http://www.geocities.com/pugmoose/Marsha.html


Our Homeschooling Story
http://www.geocities.com/pugmoose/homeschool1.html

No comments: