James 1:2-4 ¶ My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
"This is a test of the emergency broadcast systems. This is only a test..."
I wish for every time a trial came into my life that I had a little TV screen in my head that would play this warning across it. "This is a test of your faith in God. This is only a test..."
Perhaps if I could be reminded of this each time a trial came, I would respond differently. Perhaps I would remain calmer. Maybe I would not react with irritation and say or do things I regret later.
But God doesn't flash test warnings before He gives us a test. Most of the time they are "pop" quizzes that we are not expecting. That is why we need to study before-hand and be prepared even though we don't know when the next test will be. We need to be in the Word each day, letting God's Word sink deep into our hearts so that we are prepared when the next test comes to respond in a godly manner. I must confess, though, that sometimes even after careful preparation, I still respond wrongly. I could beat myself over the head for this or I can come to God in repentance, accept His forgiveness and then prepare myself for the next time by arming myself with scripture that pertains to the proper way to respond. It's a growing process much like school. My children study and prepare to take a test and they will get problems wrong often. I try to show them that they don't need to beat themselves up for it. They just need to go back and look at what the right answer should have been and prepare for the next time that question might show up. We need to do the same with life's trials and tests.
Have you had a test recently? How did you do? Do you need to study more? Let's all dig deep into God's Word and prepare ourselves in prayer for the next test. After all, God doesn't flash test warnings, so we need to be prepared and ready.
Dear Father, We often react in wrong ways when tests and trials come our way. Help us to prepare ourselves by soaking in Your Word and by prayer, so that we may respond in a way that is glorifying to You. Amen.
1 comment:
Good illustration, Marsha! I know I often don't realize "it's a test" until I'm already through it, and I realize I've failed badly. I'm going to use this one tomorrow as the devotional at our nursing home service....
Best Wishes,
Jim Erskine
Homeway Press
Post a Comment